One of the main problems plaguing pet dog owners in today’s world is aggression. An increasing number of dogs are being re-homed, abandoned or euthanised in the name of aggression.
This intensive, advanced course looks at how we can prevent and handle canine aggression.
The course will teach you how to understand the causes of aggression, progression, behaviour modification and the simple ways you can correct aggression without the use of force, intimidation or pain.
Introduction to canine behaviour
- What is canine behaviour?
- Evolution of canines
- Canine genetics
- The role of a canine behaviourist
- Domestication of dogs
- History and origin of dog breeds
- Original breed purposes
- Breed influence on behaviour problems
How a Dog Learns
- Learning principles
- Learnt behaviours and inherited behaviours
- Classical conditioning and operant conditioning
- Rewards and Punishers
- Patterns of canine behaviour
- Breed traits
- Genetics vs. Learned behaviour
- Hormonal effect on aggression
- Social development periods
- Physiological factors
- Resiliency and Trauma
- Fear and frustration
- Health implications
- Progression of aggression
- Interpreting early signs
Types Of Aggression
- Aggression towards humans
- Aggression towards dogs
- Aggression towards other animals
Working With Aggressive Dogs
- Prevention of dog bites
- Canine body language
- Calming signals
- The alpha roll over – does it work?
- Dog bite treatment
- How to break up a dog fight
Training Tool Pros And Cons
- prong collar
Strategies Of Working With Aggression
- Measuring and monitoring aggressive behaviour
- Behaviour modification strategies
- Clicker training
The Art Of Behaviour Counselling
- Conducting a behaviour consultation
- Writing behaviour programmes
- Writing case history
- Veterinarian involvement
- Behaviour assessment
- Measures of behaviour
- Preventing behaviour problems
The Human Angle
- Understanding human body language
- Attitudes to companion animals
- Professional etiquette
- Improving client-dog relationship
- Identify client goals
- Unrealistic expectations
- The instant fix
- This stage will include the introduction to the course and theory classes. Students will be expected to attend the 12 day course in Dadar, Mumbai 9:30 am to 1:30 pm everyday
- This stage will include theory classes and consultations.
- Shirin merchant will personally demonstrate, teach, guide and supervise the students.
- Certificate will be awarded on completion of this stage
- In this stage, the student will be required to go through study material at home.
- Students will be provided online study material in the form of books (will need to be purchased separately), videos and articles.
- Students will be sent cases to work on, write out programmes, canine behaviour videos to analyse and do further research.
- This module can be worked at the student’s convenience but must be completed within 2 weeks.
- Students will be expected to invest around 42-52 hours of study in this module.
- Requirements – a computer and an internet connection.
- This module will include online LIVE sessions – Tuesday and Friday 8 am to 10 am.
Duration and Dates
15th NOVEMBER 2021
12th DECEMBER 2021
Is This Course For You?
The comprehensive course is ideal for anyone keen on furthering their knowledge of canine behaviour – either to expand their own canine communication skills or as the commencement of a whole new career. Students will understand why dogs behave the way they do and how to change a dog’s behaviour without resorting to punishment. The detailed course will consist only of theory and is the foundation course for people interested in pursuing a career as canine trainers and behaviour counsellors.
Only students who have been actively training dogs for at least 2 years can apply for the course.
The course will be conducted only in English and students are required to have a good understanding of the language. Applicant must be over 18 years of age. This course is only for those people who genuinely want to learn more about dogs. Only those seriously interested should apply.