Have you ever wondered what a dog is saying to you when he barks? Or why dogs have separation anxiety or wanted to learn the beautiful language of dogs?
This comprehensive course will teach you why dogs soil your house, destroy your belongings, bark excessively, dig, fight with other dogs and even bite you. Nearly all behaviour problems are perfectly normal canine activities that occur at the wrong time or place or are directed at the wrong thing. The course will help you understand the true cause of canine behaviour problems and the simple solutions that can turn correct the imbalance in the dog-owner relationship.
If your passion is to help canines suffering from behaviour problems, this course is for you.
Introduction to canine behaviour
- What is canine behaviour?
- Evolution of canines
- Canine genetics
- The role of a canine behaviourist
- Domestication of dogs
- History and origin of dog breeds
- Original breed purposes
- Breed influence on behaviour problems
How a Dog Learns
- Learning principles
- Learnt behaviours and inherited behaviours
- Classical conditioning and operant conditioning
- Rewards and Punishers
- Patterns of canine behaviour
- Canine body language
- Calming signals
- Stress in dogs
- Displacement behaviours
- Stereotype behaviours
- Obsessive compulsive behaviours
- Attention seeking destruction
- Boredom destruction
- Separation Anxiety
- Puppy chewing and destruction
- Puppy Toilet training
- Re-training an adult dog
- Submissive urination
- Territorial urination
- Excitement urination
- Guard Dog barking
- Excitement barking
- Attention seeking barking
- Nervous barking
- Boredom barking
- Frustration-related vocalising
- Fussy eating habits
- Burying food
Fears and phobias
- Canine socialisation
- Fear of people
- Fear of dogs
- Fear of places
- Noise fear
- Measures of fear
The Art Of Behaviour Counselling
- Conducting a behaviour consultation
- Writing behaviour programmes
- Writing case history
- Veterinarian involvement
- Behaviour assessment
- Measures of behaviour
- Preventing behaviour problems
The Human Angle
- Understanding human body language
- Attitudes to companion animals
- Professional etiquette
- Improving client-dog relationship
- Identify client goals
- This stage will include the introduction to the course and theory classes.
- Students will be expected to attend the 12 day Behaviour course in Dadar, Mumbai.
- 9 am to 1:30 pm everyday (except Sunday)
- The stage will include learning theory and practical experience with dogs.
- Shirin merchant will personally demonstrate, teach, guide and supervise the students.
- Students will get a certificate on completion of this stage
- In this stage, the student will be required to go through study material at home.
- Students will be sent cases to work on, write out programmes, canine behaviour videos to analyse, articles to read and videos to watch.
- This module can be worked at the student’s convenience but must be completed within 3 weeks.
- Students will be expected to invest around 48-56 hours of study in this module.
- Requirements – a computer and an internet connection.
Duration and Dates
The 1st module of practical training will be held from
26th July to 7th August 2021
over a period of 12 days from 9 am to 1:30 pm daily
The 2nd Module of home study will be conducted
9th August to 18th August 2021
This module can be studied at home, at any time convenient to the student. You do not need to be in Mumbai for this module.
Is This Course For You?
The comprehensive course is ideal for anyone keen on furthering their knowledge of canine behaviour – either to expand their own canine communication skills or as the commencement of a whole new career. Students will understand why dogs behave the way they do and how to change a dog’s behaviour without resorting to punishment. The detailed course will consist only of theory and is the foundation course for people interested in pursuing a career as canine trainers and behaviour counsellors.
Only students who have been actively training dogs for at least 1 year can apply for the course.
The course will be conducted only in English and students are required to have a good understanding of the language. Applicant must be over 18 years of age. This course is only for those people who genuinely want to learn more about dogs. Only those seriously interested should apply.