If you have always been fascinated by dogs and wondered why they behave the way they bark for attention, chew up the new sofa when left alone, toilet inappropriately or even dislike your favourite aunt ?
How Does a Dog Learn
This topic will include a detailed study of:
- Understanding the different ways in which a dog learns behaviour
- Patterns of canine behaviour
- Operant and Classical conditioning and its impact on problem behaviours
- Positive and negative reinforcement
- Why punishment does more harm than good
- Learned helplessness
- The role the dog’s environment and upbringing plays in its behaviour
The different reasons a dog will chew or destroy his home and how to correct the behaviour. Some of the causes of destruction discussed will be:
- Attention seeking destruction
- Boredom destruction
- Separation Anxiety
- Puppy chewing and destruction
How to put right any toilet training problem, including
- Toilet training a puppy
- Re-training an adult dog
- Submissive urination
- Territorial urination
- Excitement urination
- Canine body language
- Calming signals
- Stress in dogs
- Displacement behaviours
- Stereotype behaviours
- Obsessive compulsive behaviours
- Guard Dog barking
- Excitement barking
- Attention seeking barking
- Nervous barking
- Boredom barking
- Frustration-related vocalising
- Fussy eating habits
- Burying food
- The course will include live classes with Shirin Merchant
- Each session will be for 2 hours.
- Sessions will be interactive – students will be able to discuss and ask questions during the sessions.
- Students will have access to the recordings for 6 months after the duration of the course.
- Students will be given access to over 30 videos and articles for 6 months to support their learning journey!
- Students will require a computer and reliable internet.
- Students will be emailed a soft copy certificate on completion of the course.
The course will be conducted by India’s pioneering canine behaviourist and trainer – Shirin Merchant
Since 1995, she has helped dog owners around the world with behaviour and training problems ranging from dominance, housetraining, chewing, aggression, destruction to boredom and compulsive behaviours. She has trained over thousands dogs with breeds ranging from the feisty Pomeranian to the shy Samoyed.
Over the years, Shirin has conducted courses in Canine Behaviour for professionals who are currently pursuing successful careers in the field.
Shirin understands dog behaviour from the canine perspective and on this course she will share her knowledge and decades of experience with the students.
In 2013, Shirin gained her accreditation to the prestigious Kennel Club of England Accreditation Scheme for Trainers and became a fully accredited member of the KCAI (Kennel Club of England) holding an accreditation in Companion Dog Training and Behavioural Training at the advanced level. She is the only person outside of Europe to have achieved this distinct honour and is one of nine people in the world to have the accreditation in Behavioural Training.
Shirin was awarded the KCAI International Commendation for Trainer of the Year at a ceremony at Cruft’s Dog Show in England in 2014.
Is This Course For You?
The comprehensive course is ideal for anyone keen on furthering their knowledge of canine behaviour – either to help understand their own dog’s behaviour, to expand their own canine communication skills or as a stepping stone to understanding canine behaviour as a career. Students will understand why dogs behave the way they do and how to change a dog’s behaviour without resorting to punishment.
The course will be conducted only in English and students are required to have a good understanding of the language.
If you have struggled to understand your dog’s issues, contact professionals, tried various remedies and yet failed, this course will help give you the answers you have been looking for.