If you have ever shared your home and heart with a dog, then you know the amazing feeling of unconditional love that a dog can bring into our lives. If you have always wanted to share that amazing feeling and love that dogs bring into our lives, then therapy dog work maybe the happiest and most fulfilling work you will ever find in this world!
But how do you approach this work? What kind of dog is perfect for it, where do you start? If you have always wanted to spread some tail wagging sunshine in this world, then this is the perfect course for you!
Understanding The Concept Of Therapy Dogs
- The differences between AAT and AAA
- When is therapy work helpful and when it is not
- Some terms to know before you get started with therapy dog work
The Human Angle
- What qualifications do you need
- Ideal situations for therapy dog work
- Effective communication
- Limits as a dog handler
- Code of ethics
The Canine Angle
- Animal assisted therapy tests
- Suitable breeds
- Therapy dog puppy training
- Selection of therapy dog
- Therapy dog temperament
- Therapy dog formal training
- Zoonotic diseases
- Stress in a therapy dog
- Burnout and retirement
- Safety tips
- The course will include live classes with Shirin Merchant
- Each session will be for 2 hours.Held from 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm
- Sessions will be interactive – students will be able to discuss and ask questions during the sessions.
- Students will have access to the recordings for 6 months after the duration of the course.
- Students will require a computer and reliable internet.
- Students will be emailed a soft copy certificate on completion of the course.
The course will be conducted by India’s pioneering canine behaviourist and trainer – Shirin Merchant
Since 1995, she has helped dog owners around the world with behaviour and training problems ranging from dominance, housetraining, chewing, aggression, destruction to boredom and compulsive behaviours. She has trained over thousands dogs with breeds ranging from the feisty Pomeranian to the shy Samoyed.
Shirin was probably the first person in India to start the concept of Therapy Dogs in 1996. Over the years, she has conducted sessions at the Army paraplegic rehabilitation Center, Pune; Spastics Society of India, School for the Blind, Mumbai; and various other schools, colleges and individuals in India over the years.
She has also trained over 80 professional therapy dog trainers in India who are successfully pursuing their careers.
In 2013, Shirin gained her accreditation to the prestigious Kennel Club of England Accreditation Scheme for Trainers and became a fully accredited member of the KCAI (Kennel Club of England) holding an accreditation in Companion Dog Training and Behavioural Training at the advanced level. She is the only person outside of Europe to have achieved this distinct honour and is one of nine people in the world to have the accreditation in Behavioural Training.
Is This Course For You?
This course is essential for anyone who is interested in taking up therapy dog work as a career or a pet parent who wants to volunteer their time for therapy dog work. The course will be conducted only in English and students are required to have a good understanding of the language. Any dog lover above 18 years can apply. The course is ideal for beginners as well as professionals.
This course will not qualify you to train, assess or certify therapy dog teams.